The UFC 149: Faber vs Barao Pre-Fight Press Conference took place today at Flames Central in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with UFC executives Dana White and Tom Wright, and UFC 149′s main-card fighters, Urijah Faber, Renan Barao, Hector Lombard, Tim Boetsch, Cheick Kongo, and Shawn Jordan.
The YouTube: (also at: http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-149-pre-fight-press-conference)
- Lombard was asked about his statements this week saying he wants to fight Mark Munoz next. He said he wants to first take care of business Saturday night and then fight Munoz. Dana White was asked for his thoughts and said this about Lombard, “He must not have FUEL” and added the Munoz lost so if Lombard wins against Boetsch he won’t be fighting Munoz but one of the top guys who have a win their last time out.
- Nick Ring was acknowledged as a local hero for his efforts in helping a couple that was being beaten in Calgary
- Faber confirmed that they picked the right guy in Barao. Dana jumped in and talked about how he lied to Faber when Faber asked for Barao just to make sure it would be a surprise.
- Brian Ebersole surprisingly came on and said he had 4 tickets to give away because his family wasn’t able to make it. He asked Urijah if they can be given away to his youth foundation charity. The video was cut at this point and then jumped forward. Not sure why? Later in the press conference, one of the fan questions asked if the ‘hairrow’ is coming back and apparently it is.
- Dana talked about how Lombard is huge internationally, especially in Australia where he just came from
- UFC still working on getting into France
- Kongo was asked about being the “gatekeeper” for upcoming heavyweights. He said he isn’t a gatekeeper and is just trying his best. He was also asked about going down to 205 and he said not right now and that he loves food too much.
- Dana said there would be no rushing Dominick Cruz to come back and that whoever wins on Saturday between Faber and Barao could go on defending the interim title until Cruz is better, similar to GSP
- Dana said he would have a lot of answers after Saturday about what the next matches are for the middleweight division
- Dana said he just came back from Australia where they just finished filming episode 1 of ‘TUF: U.K. vs Australia – The Smashes’ and that TUF Canada is coming.
- UFC 148 didn’t break ppv records but came close
- As it stands now, GSP is definitely going to fight at UFC 154 in Montreal November 17th
- Lombard is eager to show UFC fans what he can do
- Dana was asked what’s next and answered: China, India, and TUF in 4 countries in the next year
- UFC will be back in Calgary in the future
- Has the UFC considered a Cruiserweight division? Dana said probably not and that a lighter weight division would probably come first, like 115lbs
- A funny moment when a 9-year old girl expressed her love for Cheick Kongo causing Cheick to get all embarrassed