The Fox Theater in Atlanta was buzzing last night with the UFC 145 weigh-ins going down. Jon Jones and Rashad Evans didn’t disappoint as they ground their foreheads together while toe-to-toe. The two had to be separated and you can tell that they are both SO ready to get it on.
Joe Rogan spoke with each of them after the face-off. “It is a lot of emotion involved, but at the same time, I’m looking forward to stepping in the cage to fight Jones.” said the former champ Evans. Jones added, “It’s a gigantic fight. I’m excited to be here baby. I’m ready to tear some heart out.”.
Did you change any of your picks after watching?
Notable mentions from the weigh-in:
- Travis Browne held true to his Tweet (@travisbrowneMMA) and wore some very colorful manties (he put two photos up on his Twitter account and the one with the most retweets won). Rogan commented with a “wooo”. Griggs sported his infamous muttonchops. Two very big boys up on stage.
- Miguel Torres received one of the loudest receptions. He’s certainly given us some great bouts so good to see the fans appreciate him. McDonald smiled the whole time only to be met with a death glare from Torres.
- Matt ‘The Immortal’ Brown looked all business as you would expect from the long-time pro.
- Big Ben Rothwell might have to change his name to Slim Ben Rothwell. He was looking mighty svelte, well, for him anyway. His 263 over Schaub’s 237 didn’t look as intimidating but 26 pounds is still 26 pounds.
- Mark Hominick towered over Eddie Yagin even though he’s just an inch taller. Looks like a “let’s give an easy one to Hominick and get him back on track” matchup. No fight is a gimme though. See Korean Zombie.
Everybody pretty much made weight with the exception of John Makdessi who weighed in two pounds over the 156-pound cutoff for his lightweight fight with Anthony Njokuani. Njokuani agreed to accept the fight anyway, receiving 20-percent of Makdessi’s fight purse in return.
Main Card (on Pay-Per-View):
-Jon Jones (205) vs. Rashad Evans (204)
-Rory MacDonald (169.5) vs. Che Mills (170)
-Brendan Schaub (237) vs. Ben Rothwell (263)
-Miguel Torres (135.5) vs. Michael McDonald (135)
-Mark Hominick (145.5) vs. Eddie Yagin (144.5)
-Mark Bocek (155) vs. John Alessio (155.5)
Preliminary Bouts (on FX):
-Travis Browne (250) vs. Chad Griggs (228)
-Matt Brown (171) vs. Stephen Thompson (171)
-John Makdessi (158) vs. Anthony Njokuani (156)
-Mac Danzig (155) vs. Efrain Escudero (156)
Preliminary Bouts (on Facebook):
-Keith Wisniewski (170.5) vs. Chris Clements (169)
-Marcus Brimage (145) vs. Maximo Blanco (146)